May 3rd minutes
General Meeting called to order at: 18:15 (6:15pm) by President Bob Aspiras
Pledge of Allegiance by: Malcolm O
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Chaplain Lonnie R
Roll Call of officers: term expires
Robert Aspiras, Pres P 2023
Ron Wilson, VP P 2023
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2023
Randy Turnbull, B of D A 2023
Sam Houston, B of D P 2023
David Loomis, B of D P 2023
Ray Radke, B of D P 2023
Larry Montgomery B of D P 2023
Charles Muggy P 2023
Guests: Glenda Sinclair, Jeri Hawk, Jesse Enriquez, Tim Sodden, Shane Sodden,
New members present:
Secretary’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved as amended
Treasurer’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Membership Update: 355 VVA, 80 AVVA
- Pres. Aspiras briefly went over the Roberts Rules of Order.
- Glenda and Jeri gave a ten-minute presentation on a little-known VA benefit regarding home care. They assert that the vet pays nothing. Contact information was shared.
- A bunch of certificates of appreciation were given out to: Jesse Enriquez, Tim Sodden, Shane Sodden, Sean Dalgarn, Jared Bocek. If I missed anyone, I’m sorry.
- Pres. Aspiras gave a short report on the state council meeting in Toppenish.
1. Moved and seconded that the chapter provide Pres. Aspiras a travel stipend of 44 cents/mile. After discussion, the motion was amended to $25 per meeting. The motion was tabled for more discussion at the next meeting.
2. Malcolm O announced that a meeting will be held on 10 May at the American Legion Post 7 at 1:30 pm (13:30) to discuss the fate of the NW Annex, which the county seems to intend to tear down. Some want the facility to be repurposed for a veterans’ facility. There is a fairly large veteran population in the county and to gain many services they have to travel to Mt Vernon, Everett or Seattle.
3. Saturday May 28th is the Whatcom Memorial Day Parade. We will have a presence in the parade, all are invited to walk or ride with us.
4. Sunday May 29th will be the dedication of the Gold Star Mothers’ Memorial Arch at Greenacres. The Legion will supply refreshments. A speech by Col. Wes Weston and entertainment will follow.
5. Monday May 30th our chapter will hold its annual picnic at Hovander Park at 4 pm (16:00). We need volunteers to setup and take down, serve, cleanup etc. Everybody come please.
6. Doc H called for volunteers for the car show in July. He announced the committee will have a meeting 8 June at 15:00 (3:0pm) at the VFW.
7. Add new President Robert Aspiras to WECU signature card, remove Loomis and Goldsmith.
- 4 July Post 1585 raffle for Golden Boy rifle. Open to folks 21 or older. Tickets are $20/each. 2nd, 3rd and 4th prizes are silver…
50/50 Raffle Won by: Glenda S. who donated back to chapter $ 65 total.
Donations tonight totaled $167.
Motion to adjourn: made at 20:05 (8:05pm) adjourned.