Minutes of 5 April 2022
General Meeting called to order at: 18:50 (6:50pm) by President Loomis
Pledge of Allegiance by: Pres. Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Chaplain Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2022
Ron Wilson, VP P 2022
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2022
Ken Richardson, B of D P 2022
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2022
Sam Houston, B of D P 2022
Gene Goldsmith, B of D P 2022
George Douglas, B of D P 2022
Duane Holliday, B of D P 2022
Guests: Greg Hawley, Mike & Martha Welch, Francisco Ivarra
New members present: George Mills
Secretary’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Treasurer’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved as amended
Membership Update: 350 VVA, 80 AVVA
1. New slate of officers, delegates and directors elected
1. New officers, directors and delegates sworn in by State Council President Ivarra.
2. New President Robert Aspiras introduced himself (gave a little background) and assumed role as president.
3. Liz Witowski was called upon to explain the role of the Whatcom County Veterans Program. She explained that among the duties of the program is to help low-income veterans get and maintain permanent housing. It also carries out a volunteer drive program, driving folks to medical appointments etc. The 114 fund services indigent veterans (those with an income lower than $2,900/mo. for a couple). This fund can help with burial services, rent, utility payments etc. Liz reported that the office assisted 648 veterans last year. She can be reached by calling 360 778 6050.
Liz also noted that all Vietnam vets qualify for VA benefit claims. She encouraged us all to enroll, for our spouse’s benefit if not our own. She also encouraged all to attend the board meetings (on Zoom) and to apply for any open position on the board.
4. Francisco Ivarra remarked that 29 March is Vietnam Veterans’ Day, a day we should all commemorate. It is our day. He also noted that the Washington State Council VSOs are first in the nation in bringing dollars to the state. There is a council meeting in Toppenish this Sat. April 9th from 13:00-16:00 (1:00-4:00pm) at the Yakima Warriors Building. The National VVA board meeting is 20-23 April in Washington, DC. He will be attending.
Francisco ended with a presentation to outgoing president Dave Loomis for his excellent leadership over the past few years. Good job, Dave.
5. Randy T moved the chapter donate $500.00 to VFW 1585, seconded and approved.
6. Ken R moved the chapter support the Memorial Day parade to the tune of $1,000, seconded and approved.
7. Ron W moved the chapter support the Welcome Home picnic this year with $1,000, seconded and approved.
8. Doc H called for volunteers for the car show in July. He announced the committee will have a meeting 13 April at 15:00 (3:0pm) at the VFW.
9. John F. noted that the parade registration is now open and urged the chapter to register.
50/50 Raffle Won by: Ken R. donated back to chapter $ 85.
Donations tonight totaled $165.
Motion to adjourn: made at 20:10 (8:10pm) adjourned.