About VVA 165
“Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another” is the motto of Vietnam Veteran’s of America.
In January of 1978 a group of Vietnam veteran’s advocates got together in Washington, D. C. and began the organization that became Vietnam Veteran’s of America VVA. VVA is the only congressionally chartered national veterans service organizations exclusively dedicated to Vietnam-era veterans and their families.
VVA accredited service officers are located in the Veteran’s Center, 3800 Byron Avenue, Suite 124, Bellingham, WA 98225. They are Richard Wilson, Pam Wilson, Carolyn Dorris and Doris Kent. They can be reached at 360-733-9226. These well qualified service officers can assist veterans in filing claims with the VA and providing guidance in dealing with the VA.
Here are some of the programs offered to veteran’s and their families:
• file claims on behalf of veterans (all conflicts and eras) with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and see them through till resolution,
• are a resource and referral point to veterans and their families for housing and other social services,
• established an endowment fund called Chapter Legacy Scholarship Fund with Bellingham Technical College to provide college scholarships to deserving veterans and descendants of veterans,
• are a link between veterans and the VA Medical Centers for appointments, information and transportation,
• a source for acquiring your military records, awards and decorations,
• hosts a Memorial Day Service and picnic each year for veterans and the general community to honor those who have fallen protecting our country,
• a liaison between the veteran and the Washington Department of Veterans Affairs,
• provide Christmas parties and gifts for children and families in need through the Bellingham Boys & Girls Club,
• provide free Whatcom Transit Authority bus passes and tokens for veterans and their families in need.
• conducts an annual car show each summer which is free to the community, the proceeds of which funds worthy veterans in financial stress.