Minutes of 7 September 2021
General Meeting called to order at: 18:40 (6:40pm) by Pres. Loomis
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose, Chaplain
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2022
Ron Wilson, VP P 2022
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2022
Ken Richardson, B of D A 2022
Randy Turnbull, B of D A 2022
Sam Houston, B of D P 2022
Gene Goldsmith, B of D P 2022
George Douglas, B of D P 2022
Duane Holliday, B of D A 2022
Guests: Nikki Loehmer, Nancy Ghall, Jill Church, scholarship recipient Aubrey San Nicolas
New members present: Jim McCoy, Ron Kautzman,
Secretary’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Treasurer’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved, note Covid relief money
Membership Update: VVA – 318, AVVA – 68
1. Car show was a great success. Net income may exceed $15,000. Note that not all bills have been received yet.
2. Welcome Home Picnic in Sedro Wooley was attended by many members. A fine time for all.
3. Aubrey San Nicolas discussed her goals and the assist the scholarship has given to her education.
4. Ron Wilson built three wheelchair ramps, one solo, one with Larry Montgomery and the third with Ken Carlson as well.
1. Nikki Loehmer presented the Honor Flight program, which has a Washington state chapter. The Flight takes veterans to the other Washington to tour and be honored for their efforts in war. There is no cost to the veteran, and he/she may be accompanied by a child or other relative.
2. A Celebration of Life for David McMaster will be held 11 Sept. from 5 to 9 pm at the Squalicum Yacht Club 2633 S. Harbor Loop drive.
3. VVA Region 8 conference is held at Nugget Casino Resort, Sparks, NV 14-16 Sept. This chapter is sending five delegates.
4. Marine Corps League celebrates the 245th Anniversary of the USMC at the Skagit Valley Casino, 5984 Dark Lane, Bow, WA. The date is 6 Nov. from 5 to 9 pm. (17:00-21:00). Cost is $45/person. Please respond to Sharon.firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend.
5. The Chapter now has a new service officer – Andy Sauier – at the Veterans Center (3800 Byron Street, suite 124). Phone 360 733 0226. For the moment he is working out of the VFW hall in Lynden.
6. VFW Post 1585 requests volunteers to meet with them to support efforts to help recent veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan.
7. DAR requests a veteran to attend their meeting on 13 Nov to discuss service experience and what it means to be a veteran. Contact Darlene Carlson.
8. A” Free Legal Answers” website is available to answer questions about veterans’ federal legal questions. This is a part of the ABA Standing Committee on Legal Assistance for Military Personnel (LAMP).
9. Nancy Ghall of St. Brendan’s Anglican Church is attending to see how the church may support our efforts – mainly in education.
- 10. Moved, second, approved Donate $30,000 to foundation endowment at Bellingham Technical College.
50/50 Raffle Won by: Chuck Muggy
Good of the Order: VFW Post 1585 breakfast 26 Sept 8 – 11 am.
Motion to adjourn: adjournment at 19:45 (7:45)