Minutes of 1 October 2019 meeting
General Meeting called to order at: 18:50
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Gene Goldsmith
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2020
Ron Wilson, VP P 2020
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2020
Kirk Lyon, B of D A 2020
Doug Spangler, B of D A 2020
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Richard Martinez, B of D P 2020
George Douglas, B of D A 2021
Tom Modica, B of D A 2021
Guests: Dee Stahl, Anne Cantrell, Deb & Bill Royal
New members present: Dick Danson
Secretary’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Tom G read thank you notes from scholarship recipients Allie Mosac and Alex Ambrose.
Treasurer’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Membership Update: VVA 291, AVVA 35
- State Council President Francisco Ivarra gave a quick account of the national convention held in Spokane last July. He noted the problem that the VVA will shortly face – whether or not it will exist. Vietnam veterans are dying at a faster rate than either WWII or Korea vets. The probable cause is Agent Orange. While the VVA is more effective in producing change in legislation than other vets organizations, because of its rate of decimation it will have to be absorbed by another entity or it’s “the last man standing”.
- Saturday October 12 the annual Women’s Professional Network will honor Homegrown Heroes and Growing Veterans programs. The event is at Northwood Hall (3240 Northwest Ave. Bellingham from 11:00 to 14:00.
- 26 October the state council of the VVA holds a meeting at the pancake house on Snoqualmie pass from 10:00 to 13:00. Anyone is welcome.
- The Growing Veterans dinner and auction fund raiser will be held at Semiahmoo Resort from 17:00 to 21:00. For more information call 360 445 2399.
- V.P. Ron Wilson presented certificates of thanks to Dee and Bill Royal, who for 40 years have been unofficial grave keepers for USMC Pvt. Roger Dale Bragg who is buried in Bayview Cemetery.
Doc Holliday presented a thank you to the Boices for their support of the car show. Also a certificate to Ken Richardson, who slipped out of the meeting.
- Pres. D. Loomis expressed gratitude to the Gearheads car club who supported our car show with a donation of $500.
- Veteran’s ride & potluck at Faith Equestrian Center, 3534 Birch Bay-Lynden Road this Sat. 5 October from 17:00-20:00 (5pm – 8pm). This can have remarkable results for those suffering from PTSD. Call 360 318 6375 for more info.
- Oktoberfest happens at the AL Post 7 on 11 October from 17:00 to 19:00.
- VFW Post 1585 will have annual Alice & Elaine Chili Cook-off on 25 October starting at 18:00. Cost is $5 per person, or a pot of chili. Halloween costumes are optional but encouraged. Bring the family.
- The next official car show committee is 6 January 2020 at Denny’s on Telegraph Road. Meeting starts at 10:00. Donations for the car show raffle can be brought to the meeting or dropped off at Dave Loomis’ house.
- Gene G. tried to recruit volunteers to sell Veteran’s Day poppies at the three Haggen stores. Four hour shifts. Proceeds to the DAV for the van fund.
- Gene G. announced the DAV van now has 12 drivers, but can use more, as Sedro Wooley, Oak Harbor and Stanwood have no drivers.
50/50 Raffle Won by Ruth Ashe $33 to the kitty.
Good of the Order:
19 Oct 8:00-11:00 breakfast at VFW Post 9301 7011 Hannegan Road.
27 Oct. 8:00-10:00 breakfast at VFW Post 1585, 625 N. State Street.
Meal donations collected $215.
Motion to adjourn: came at 19:30. Dismissed