Minutes of 3 September 2019
General Meeting called to order at: 18:45
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2020
Ron Wilson, VP A 2020
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2020
Kirk Lyon, B of D A 2020
Doug Spangler, B of D A 2020
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Richard Martinez, B of D P 2020
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Tom Modica, B of D A 2021
Guests: Dorothy Rood
New members present: Dan Nouvelle
Secretary’s report: Motion to approve by Gene G, 2nd & approved
Treasurer’s report: First Car Show Income Statement presented
July Income Statement & Balance Sheet motion by Ken R. 2nd approved
August Income St. & Bal. Sheet motion by Ken R. 2nd & approved
Membership Update: 286 members & 31 AVVA
- Review of national convention held in Spokane in July this year by Gene G. Pres. Rowan re-elected again. No one challenged. So the status is stasis. McManus will be new treasurer. In quiet discussion will try to reinstate Jim Pace. Jim will be reinstated as Legion VSO.
- Review (quick) of Car Show. Doc H gave breakdown of car entries. He said there are three more donations to come. Sam H. presented Bill Cook with a certificate acknowledging his contributions. A Car Show committee meeting will be held on 16 Sep. at 10:00. (unless it changes again). Date for the next Car Show is 19 July 2020. It will be the 10th. We sure would appreciate any and all help we can get.
- Gene G spoke about the fund-raising for the Vietnam Memorial; contact him for information to buy bricks.
- President Dave reviewed quickly the attendance at the Chapter 1109 picnic in Sedro Wooley and the veteran’s lunch at Lairmont Manor on 20 August.
- Member Dan Cantrell spoke about a memorial service of the 50th anniversary of the death of Roger Bragg in service to the country in Vietnam. The service will be at the Veteran’s Memorial at Bayview Cemetery, Sat. Sept. 7th at 10:00. Let’s have a good showing of the membership. I apologize for the tardiness of posting. I’ll try to do better n the future…
- Gene G. reviewed the fiscal position of the scholarship fund at BTC. Basically we have nearly $65,000.00 in funds there. He then presented three motions:
First that the chapter contributes $5,000.00 more to the fund. 2nd & approved.
Second that the chapter directs BTC to fund four $1,000.00 scholarships for this year. 2nd & approved.
Third that the chapter contributes $3,000.00 to the DAV van fund. 2nd & approved.
- Veteran’s ride & potluck at Faith Equestrian Center, 3534 Birch Bay-Lynden Road this Sat. Sept. 7 from 17:00-20:00 (5pm – 8pm).
- VFW Post 1585 hosts the 3rd annual Kenny Paine memorial pig roast at the post on 28 Sept. 18:00 (6 pm).
- Women’s Professional Network fund raiser honors Homegrown Heroes and Growing Veterans Program on 12 Oct. 11:00-14:00 (11am-2pm) at the Northwood Hall Casino. Questions call Krista Marie Jones 360 770 4266.
- State Council VVA meeting on 12 Oct. from 10:00-13:00 (10 am-1pm).
- 16 Nov. 17:00-21:00 (5-9 pm) Growing Veterans fund raiser dinner and auction. It’s a really good cause. For info call 360 445 2399.
- I forgot to mention another memoir of Vietnam by veterans. The website is here: longbinhdaze.com
50/50 Raffle Won by Rosie (again). $21 to the kitty.
Good of the Order:
21 Sept 8:00-11:00 breakfast at VFW Post 9301 7011 Hannegan Road.
29 Sept. 8:00-10:00 breakfast at VFW Post 1585, 625 N. State Street.
Motion to adjourn: came at 19:30. Dismissed