minutes 5 November 2019
Minutes of 5 November 2019
General Meeting called to order at: 18:35
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2020
Ron Wilson, VP P 2020
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2020
Kirk Lyon, B of D A 2020
Doug Spangler, B of D A 2020
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Richard Martinez, B of D P 2020
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Tom Modica, B of D A 2021
Guests: No new guests
New members present: Steve Crooks, USMC
Secretary’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Treasurer’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Membership Update: VVA 292, AVVA 38
- VP Ron Wilson gave a short summary of the State Council meeting held 26 Oct. 2019. The major issues were: determining the fate of the VVA, whether it is a “last man standing” organization or be folded into another veterans’ group. The second major item was to encourage all members of the VVA to register on the Agent Orange Registry. Any member who served in Vietnam (or on ship w/in 12 miles of the shore) is deemed to have been exposed to Agent Orange. The effects of AO can show in descendants – kids and grandkids etc. they would be eligible for benefits. So do it. You can call Dr. Steve Hunt 206-764-2181 for an appointment.
- The Growing Veterans dinner and auction fund raiser will be held at Semiahmoo Golf Club from 17:00 to 21:00 on 16 Nov 2019. For more information call 360 445 2399.
- A Veteran’s Identification Card is available as of 2015. To obtain this id card go to vets.gov click on “Apply for Printed Veteran IDCard” on the bottom left of the page.
- Certificates of appreciation from the chapter were presented to Ginny and Jim Pace by Gene Goldsmith, for their longstanding work for veterans at the Vet Center.
- Studio UFO Gallery has a show with the theme “What the word veteran means”. On Sat. 9 Nov from 3pm to 5pm (15:00-17:00) any and all veterans will be honored.
- On Sun. 10 Nov. is a dinner and dance celebrating the Marine Corps and the American Legion Post 7, beginning at 6:30 (18:30). The cost is $25/person. For info and tickets call Perry Mendenhall 360-739-4519.
- Veterans’ Day 11 Nov. is a BBQ dinner and football game (Seahawks) the cost is 0 for veterans – got that? – nothing!! Donations will be gladly accepted.
- Lonnie announced that VFW post 9301 will have a short program and lunch at the post on 11 Nov starting at 11:00. All are welcome.
- December 6, 2019 – a day that will not live in infamy – the VVA in cahoots with the DAV and the VFW Auxiliary will put on a roast sirloin dinner. Seating is limited to 125, so call Cindy Mellema 360-371-3597 to ensure your place at the table.
- The car show committee will meet on 6 Jan 2020 at 10:00 at Denny’s restaurant in the bar. Yes it is time to begin in earnest the planning for the next show, which happens on 19 July 2020. Any suitable donations for the raffle table can be dropped off at Dave Loomis’ house 619 Darby Drive.
- Rich Martinez is looking for military stories that he can incorporate in his next book. If you have a story or two (and who doesn’t) contact him. His email is: email@example.com
50/50 Raffle Won by Steve Crooks $25 to the kitty.
Good of the Order:
16 Nov 8:00-11:00 breakfast at VFW Post 9301 7011 Hannegan Road.
16 Nov 8:00-10:00 breakfast at VFW Post 1585, 625 N. State Street put on by the Boy Scouts
Ed Simmers thanked everyone for “no politics” in a meeting which fell on Election Day
Ray Radke commended Rosemarie Loomis on the name tags supplied.
Meal donations collected $211.
Motion to adjourn: came at 19:15. Dismissed