Minutes of meeting 2 April 2019
Unofficial count of 47 attendees
General Meeting called to order at: 18:35
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Chaplain Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2020
Ron Wilson, VP P 2020
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2020
Kirk Lyon, B of D P 2020
Doug Spangler, B of D A 2020
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Richard Martinez, B of D P 2020
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Tom Modica, B of D P 2021
Guests: Darlene Carlson DAR, Charlotte Bovencamp,
New members present: Woodie Cornelson- Marines, Fred Hopper-Army, Don Montgomery army, Virginia Cranford AVVA
Secretary’s report: Short and sweet as usual. Moved, seconded and approved. A short discussion re: using names for motions and 2nd resolved that just “moved, seconded and approved” is sufficient
Treasurer’s report: moved seconded and approved. Modification to show $500 earmark for Jim Pace to attend National convention.
Membership Update: Pres. Dave enlisted three members – names from DL
- Veteran’s Day Parade 25 May at noon. Motion, 2nd and approved to send $1,000.00 to Whatcom Memorial Day Parade to help sponsor the event.
- Chapter will attend dedication of the Vietnam Memorial at Greenacres. We need to get PR out on the event and our part. Next meeting will look for person to send out press releases to the paper(s), radio and any other media.
- State Council meeting at Legends Casino, 580 Fort Road, Toppenish. Phone 509-865-8800 for room rates if you plan to attend. Any problems call Odis 360-903-2699.
- VVA national convention in Spokane 15-21 July at Davenport Grand Hotel, 333 W. Spokane Falls Blvd. Phone 509-458-3333. The chapter will have 6 delegates attending, plus Jim Pace.
- VFW Auxiliary dinner 13 April at 18:00 (6:00 pm). The cost is $10.00 our bottle auction follows on the main floor at 19:00 (7:00pm). This is a money-maker for the chapter, so attend and bring your wallets.
- Car show update by Tom Modica. Sign-up sheets circulated for jobs to be filled. Doc reported that the flyers and posters are ready, but will not be circulated or posted this early. For trophy sponsorship see Tom M. Trophies to be pistons again – if we can find enough.
- Received from the Rickenbacker family $2,400 (again) and from Steve Desoer $883. Both gratefully acknowledged.
- Veterans pot Luck and horse ride on 6 April 17:00 – 20:00 at 3545 Birch Bay-Lynden Road, Custer.
- Gene G. brought up the fact that the DAV van needs replacement. He asked for $1000.00 from the chapter for signage on the van. Moved, seconded, approved.
- Randy T requested 8 volunteers for the Memorial Day Parade, to function as judges/gator drivers/vendor police etc. Contact Mac M. or randy.
- Historian Lana H. read a short biography of Ron Davenport, for whom the chapter is named. Interesting report.
- Jim Pace requested donation from the chapter to help offset the cost of a new flat screen TV for the Vets Center. Motion to contribute $500.00, seconded and approved. Jim also asked that the chapter be used as a “funnel” for contributions for the TV. The Vets Center cannot accept contributions. The chapter can help fund the Vets Center. After some discussion this was approved by membership.
Good of the Order:
20 April VFW 9301 Breakfast 8:00 – 11:00
28 April VFW 1585 Breakfast 8:00 – 10:00
Gene G. announced that on 25 May the Museum of Flight will dedicate a B – 52
Randy E asked all to be considerate in their parking, it’s tight around here.
Randy T thanked all for the fine turnout
The proceeds from the meal came to $227.
50/50 raffle proceeds were $41.
Hat sales $50
Motion to adjourn: came at 19:45. Dismissed