Minutes 7 May 2019
General Meeting called to order at: 18:45
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2020
Ron Wilson, VP P 2020
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2020
Kirk Lyon, B of D P 2020
Doug Spangler, B of D P 2020
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Richard Martinez, B of D P 2020
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Tom Modica, B of D P 2021
Guests: Ken & Darlene Carlson, Curtis & Carolyn Hull, Virginia Crawford, Patrice Rozinski – AVVA, Phil Carroll Marine Corps League
New members present: Paul Olson, 173rd Airborne ’68 soon to be a member.
Secretary’s report: Short and sweet as usual. Moved, seconded and approved.
Treasurer’s report: Balance sheet & Income statement moved & approved
- Bottle Auction proceeds amounted to $1,410.00
- Discussion regarding the Memorial Day Parade, who will ride in Ron Wilson’s modified deuce-and-a-half. Who will march with the chapter banner, what clothing is appropriate, (jungle fatigues – if they still fit are ok). Phil Carroll asked for volunteers to be parade marshals who walk along to keep things moving and also for folks to help stage and start the parade. Call john Ferdon 360-318-7521 or Randy Turnbull 360-647-9361.
- On Memorial Day, 27 May, Greenacres will hold the Festival of Flags. The dedication of the Vietnam memorial will be held about 2:00 p.m. (14:00). Any and all Vietnam vets, that means you, are encouraged to march behind the banner in full regalia (if you have it). The unveiling of the VN Memorial will be done by Gene and Yvonne Goldsmith.
Food will be available beginning at noon.
Volunteers are needed to put up the flags in the morning, and to take them down at the end of the day, Memorial Day. To volunteer call Jody Johnson at 360-318-6918. An incentive breakfast is offered to the volunteers.
- There was a short presentation from the Car Show committee. We are looking for trophy sponsors, just plain sponsors raffle prize donations, and just plain cash (or check) donations. The publicity should get going after Memorial Day. We need folks to distribute flyers and posters. Talk up the show to friends, neighbors, associates, and any other clubs you belong to…
Prexy Dave Loomis appointed Ken Carlson to the car show committee. Congrats (?)
- The Vietnam Veterans of America national convention is happening in Spokane on 16 July to 20 July. Our chapter has six delegates attending, based on the membership numbers. Jim Pace will be attending not as a delegate but as a past chapter president. The delegate checks were distributed during the meeting.
- On 11 May a veterans horse ride and potluck will occur at 3545 Birch Bay – Lynden Road from 17:00 (5:00 p.m.) to 20:00 (8:00 p.m.) this event is free for all veterans. There will be a special speaker. It is the last scheduled ride this spring.
- Something new – a 2-hour Bellingham Bay cruise on the Victory Star to honor those we have lost. Hors d’oeuvres served and drinks available for purchase. The cruise tickets cost $59 / person. There is a limited number of tickets. Call Joan Wyatt 360-739-1540 or 360-671-3316. Register at https://alzsociety.org/event/3rd annual cruise-for-a-cause. Boarding time is 18:15 (6:15 p.m.) at the ferry terminal 355 Harris Ave.
- The commemorative silver dollar coin donated by either SAL or the riders from the Legion was auctioned off after frenetic bidding to Curtis Hull for $200.
- Melvin Brewing has adopted the chapter and will donate proceeds from their $3 pints purchased 30 June to 13 July. It is unclear if these special pints are available on the weekend only. We will have the facts by the next chapter meeting.
Good of the Order:
- VFW 9301 breakfast on 18 May 8:00 to 11:00
- VFW 1585 breakfast on 26 May 8:00 to 10:00
- Emergency button information available at the counter, or talk to Gene G. The VA will pay or reimburse no monthly fee.
- there are four seats left on the bus to the Museum of Flight for the honoring of Stan Zemont. Call Gene G if you’re interested.
- Randy E started a rather spirited (if I may use that term) discussion regarding the invocations and benedictions. It was soon decided that it was not an appropriate forum for such a discussion. Referred to the board. Prexy Dave has instructed the chaplain to stick to what is approved in the chaplain’s handbook.
The Chaplain read the benediction.
Meeting was adjourned at 19:28 (7:28).