Minutes of 5 March 2019
Historian Lana Haddox gave a short talk about the length of our involvement in Vietnam and what it meant for those who served.
The meeting was called to order at 18:28 (6:28 p.m.) by President Dave Loomis
Pledge of Allegiance recited by the membership.
Invocation given by Chaplain Lonnie Rose, followed by a moment of silence for POW/MIA.
Guests: Ann Brooks, Estrella Hurier, Benita Lipayon and Marcia Moon all of the VVAW(?), Virginia (whose last name I failed to catch), Darlene Carlson (DAR), Judy Johnson (Festival of Flags), Bob Garrison and Ande Mitchelle of chapter 1109 (Sedro-Wooley) as well as state council head Francisco Ivarra attended.
Secretary’s report: Moved to accept by Ken R., 2nd by somone, approved
Treasurer’s report: Abbreviated yearly income statement reported, balance sheet and income statement for February motion to approved by Ray R. 2nd by Randy E, passed
Old Business: 1. Car show update by Tom M, Randy T and Sam H. We hope for good weather and possibly 400 + vehicles. Committee is trying to nail down another food vendor, working with the county health department. Discussion about new category – Low Rider…
- You can still purchase a brick for the Vietnam Memorial from Gene G. or Dave L.
- The rescheduled Bottle Auction occurs April 13th at VFW 1585. Dinner by the auxiliary at 18:00, auction at 19:00. (Learn your 24-hour clocks).
- Jim and Marjorie Rickenbacker donated $2,400.00 to the chapter in February. A grateful and gracious letter of thanks will be sent.
- Lonnie R reminded all that the Vietnam Veteran’s Day is 29 March. The Lynden Museum will honor veterans and families from 10:00 to 16:00. A Light lunch will be served around 13:00 (no charge). Address is 217 Front Street Lynden. For more information contact Lonnie R at 360 220 5676.
- Mac McMaster announced the Veteran’s Day Parade 25 May, beginning at noon in Bellingham. The chapter has only a couple of months to figure out who will walk…is it you?
- Ande Mitchelle invited all to a Vietnam Vets Welcome Home picnic on 3 August 11:00 to 15:00 flyers and cards were handed out.
- Francisco Ivarra talked about several things.
- One being the work of the national.
- Secondly, the direction of the national organization; financial and future. The membership is aging and in perhaps 10 – 20 years it may disband (last man standing).
- The national conference is in Spokane this year, July 15 – 21. The state has several responsibilities as host state: supplying flags, colors, marshals etc. It’s proposed that the five marshals come one per chapter. The colors will be supplied by Fairchild AFB.
- State council meeting is 20 April in Toppenish.
- On 25 May at the Museum of Flight in Seattle a reconditioned B-52 will be dedicated to veterans of Vietnam.
- If any individual, group or chapter is worthy of recognition, nominate them for a Washington State VVA Certificate of Recognition.
- Tom M. noted that Melvin Brewing on Meridian shares proceeds from sales of their special tap (?) every Sunday. This Sunday 10 March our chapter will be the recipient.
- John Moles briefly discussed the Festival of Flags this year which coincides with the dedication of the Vietnam War Memorial on May 27th. They try to arrange a fly over or chopper landing or some such. This year the Vietnam Veterans will march behind the pipe band. There will be over 1,900 flags on display, every one of which covered one coffin. If you want to help, set up starts at 8:00 (breakfast by the American Legion). Take down happens on Sunday about 16:00. There is more opportunity to help on the take-down shift.
Ken R moved that our chapter combine our picnic with the Festival of Flags this year, to ease the problem of being in two places at once. 2nd by someone,passed.
- Ken R. moved to fund VFW 1585 $500.00 in lieu of rent. 2nd by Ray R., passed.
- Motion to fund Jim Pace $500 to attend the national convention by Ken R 2nd by again someone I failed to identify, passed
- Lana H. suggested that any person who gets his/her name in the paper pay a fine. No decision.
- Elected officers sworn in by Francisco Ivarra.
Good of the Order:
VFW 9301 serves breakfast on 16 March 8:00 to 11:00.
VFW 1585 will have breakfast on 31 March 8:00 to 10:00.
50/50 raffle won by Ken R. donated back to chapter total $95.
Meal collection total $211.
Motion to adjourn at 19:29