Minutes of 6 November 2018
Minutes of 6 November 2018
General Meeting called to order at: 18:45
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2019
Ron Wilson, VP P 2019
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2019
Kirk Lyon, B of D P 2019
Doug Spangler, B of D P 2019
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Richard Martinez, B of D P 2020
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Tom Modica, B of D P 2021
Guests: Elizabeth-Harmon Craig, Rosie Loomis, Don & Benita Lipayon, Agnes Kenney, Dee Stahl, Yvonne Goldsmith, Billy & Becky Wise and Malcolm Oliver
New members present: Rob Bloch
Secretary’s report: Short and sweet as usual. Did not get a chance to mention the thank-you letter from Children of Vietnam. Moved, seconded and approved.
Treasurer’s report: Motion to approve by Gene G, 2nd by Ken R, passed
Membership Update: Pres. Dave enlisted three lapsed members – Rick Lett, James Jones and David Stamps. He brought in two new members Rob Bloch and Ivan Moore.
- Gene G spoke about the fund-raising for the Vietnam Memorial, contact him for information to buy bricks.
- The big dinner for spouses is coming on Dec. 4th. Social hour at 5:30, dinner at 18:30 (6:30). Donations at the door. Wojo is promising top sirloin, mashed potatoes, veggies, salad and dessert.
- Tom M and Doc H spoke for a few minutes about the car show and how we need all hands on deck.
- Pres. Dave gave a short report on the state council meeting at Snoqualmie Pass on 13 Oct.
- Liz Harmon-Craig gave an overview of the county veteran’s office. She is now an accredited Veteran’s Service Officer, so she can get claims processed faster etc. Liz talked about financial and pension assistance, burial assistance for low income veterans, VA health care enrollment and other topics.
- Kirk L reported on the thank you letter from BTC for our donation.
- Mac M spoke about the Marine Corps birthday celebrations happening 10 November. One at Boundary Bay Brewery at 18:00, the other at the VFW.
- Liz talked again about a program to get presents for kids of service persons on a limited budget this holiday season. This is a program by the Combat Veterans International.
- The DAV is taking donations at three of the Haggen stores on 11 Nov. Contact Gene G if you are able to assist.
- Circle K Ranch has breakfast on the last Friday of each month from 9 – 11 am. It was unclear if you eat in the barn with the horses or not. The address is 5659 Lawrence Road (Nugents Corner). Registration required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or RSVP on line.
- Lonnie R discussed the break-in and robbery at VFW Post 9301. Loss and damage is estimated at between $2,000 and 2,500. Doc H moved to donate $500 to the post. 2nd by I forget. Approved
- Ken R moved that the chapter support VFW Post 1585 in the amount of $1,000 to help with the cost of the accessible ramp installed this fall. 2nd by Gene G, approved.
- Sam H brought up the concern of attendance at Memorial Day activities at Greenacres and then travelling to Hovander. After some discussion, it was decided that folks can leave Greenacres early to make it to the festivities at Hovander.
Good of the Order:
John F did his book report on From Enemy to Partners, which discusses the lingering problems associated with dioxin and agent orange which affect not only those who fought there, but hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese. He encouraged all (who can read) to pick up this book. It is important.
The proceeds from the meal came to $219.
John R won the 50/50 raffle for $35.
Motion to adjourn: came at 19:40. Dismissed