Pledge of Allegiance by: Pres. Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2022
Ron Wilson, VP P 2022
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2022
Ken Richardson, B of D A 2022
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2022
Sam Houston, B of D P 2022
Gene Goldsmith, B of D P 2022
Duane Holliday, B of D P 2022
George Douglas, B of D A 2022
Guests: Bob Garrison, Daniel Park, Kil Soo Han, Francisco Ivarra,
New members present: Chuck Muggy VVA, LeLoris Muggy AVVA
Secretary’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Treasurer’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Membership Update: 306 VVA, 58 AVVA
1. Car Show Committee is proceeding on the assumption that we will have one this year. The next committee meeting is 8 April.
2. National Vietnam War Veterans’ Day celebration at the Lynden Pioneer Museum was “Great”. Music, dancing, food and conversation. Member Howard Vanbeek made a generous donation.
1. VFW 1585 will have a pre-garage sale 16 April 3-6 pm prior to general public sale 17 April 9am to 3pm.
2. 14 May the chapter will co-host a bottle auction with VFW 1585 starting at 6pm. Please bring a wrapped bottle and potluck dish to share.
3. Our chapter is now 26th in membership nationally, let’s make it into the top 25, huh?
4. Chapter annual picnic is scheduled for 31 May at Hovander Park, start time 1pm (13:00) for all you.
5. The National Records Center (NPRC) provides a website for veterans to get access to their DD-214s online. http://vetrecs.archives.gov another access might be http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records Military veterans and next of kin may use this to request documents. Others with a need for documents must complete Standard Form 180 which can be downloaded from the NPRC to process the request. This new web-based application is designed to provide better service for these requests.
6. Dr. D. Park spoke about the effort to get the ROK soldiers who fought beside us in Vietnam recognized by the DOD.
7. State council President Francisco Ivarra announced that national has postponed the convention until November 2-6, still in Greensboro, NC. This probably will be one of the final conventions, due to membership age. A decision will be made as to whether the VVA is a “last man standing” organization.
Francisco attended a chapter meeting in Yakima, which recognized the 737 Transportation Company. They delivered millions of gallons of fuel in 68-69. The state council presented a plaque to memorize this feat.
8. Moved, seconded and approved to give VFW 9301 $500 to defray costs of the Vietnam War Veterans’ Day celebration.
9. Whatcom County plans to tear down the old nursing home site of the present Planning Department. Ron W. spoke about possibly reusing the building for housing homeless veterans. Decision to propose to county council. Other options were expressed. The letter will get this matter in the door, so to speak.
10 Gene G. announced that the DAV van is nearly ready. He will pick up next Monday to get the logos applied. When the GPS is installed, it will be ready to transport vets to the VA in Seattle. New drivers needed.
11. Doc H. reiterated that car show contributions should be provided with a W9 form for tax purposes. He also noted updates to the website should be made.
12. Proposal that instead of passing the hat for dinner contributions a bucket for donations should be provided. Generally approved.
50/50 Raffle Won by: Chuck Muggy, $26
Good of the Order:
Meal donations collected $ 124, spent $147.10.
Motion to adjourn: Approved at 19:08 (7:08pm)
Minutes of the first virtual meeting 10 February 2021
The meeting was called to order by President Dave Loomis at 18:01 (6:01 pm)
Roll call taken Officers present: Dave Loomis, Ron Wilson, Tom Grinstad
Directors present: Duane Holliday
Invocation given by Chaplain Lonnie Rose
Guests Stan Inzer from Spokane
Treasurer’s Report Income statement January 2021 reviewed moved & seconded approved
Members Report Chapter has 311 members on the rolls. AVVA membership now 59.
Noted Passing We lost two members this past January. Mike Boice, director and Marine Corps League Liaison. Also, Charles Anway passed 28 January.
New Business: Slate of chapter officers and directors was presented. Slate was elected for year 2021-2022. Those elected were:
President Dave Loomis
Vice President Ron Wilson
Secretary / Treasurer Tom Grinstad
Director Randy Turnbull
Director James (Sam) Houston
Director Gene Goldsmith
Director Duane Holliday
Director George Douglas
State Delegates: David Loomis, Donald Martinson, Kenneth Richardson, Ronald Wilson, Frank Woicieckowski, Eugene goldsmith
Amended chapter bylaws were presented, reviewed and accepted with one change noting the committees as appointed, not standing.
State Council President Francisco Ivarra reported on latest developments from national. The next national conference will likely be virtual. Any and all resolutions to be considered at the conference must be submitted by 31 March 2021. Roughly 360,000 VVA members have suffered Covid infection. The Vietnam Veteran era recognition has been expanded to 1955 -1975. The national office is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
The state council has been awarded a $20,000 VSO grant. The April council meeting may have to be conducted virtually. President Ivarra will appoint a nominating committee.
Chaplain Lonnie concluded with a prayer.
There being no further business a motion made to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 18:42
Although we are dealing with Covid 19 restrictions, the chapter received a $100 donation from the Gearheads Car Club. We received a request from VFW 1109 to help with postage to ship 25 troop boxes overseas. The chapter sent a check to the VFW.
We will not have a meeting in January,but call Dave Loomis if you or someone you know is in need. We do our best to help our fellow veterans – not only materially but also emotional or spiritual.
We hope to have a meeting in February to elect new officers and Board of Directors members. Any one interested in being an officer or director please call Dave Loomis at 360 715 1489.
VVA Chapter 165
Meeting called to Order at 1700 by President David Loomis
Opening Ceremonies Performed
56 VVA/AVVA Members Present, Socially Distancing/mask recommended
Roll Call of Officers:
President: David Loomis Present.
Vice President: Ron Wilson Present
Sec/Treasure: Tom Grinstad Absent/excused
Chaplain: Lonnie Rose Present
B of D: Ken Richardson Absent
B of D: Mike Boice Present
B of D: Randy Turnbull: Present
B of D: Gene Goldsmith Present
B of D: George Douglas Present
B of D Duane Holliday Present
Guests: Alex Ambros, Brewster Loomer spoke on their BTC Scholarships
Daniel Park Korean Veteran (Associate Vietnam Veteran member), shared on how he wants to join us in doing events. Spoke on wanting to be recognized by the Vietnam Veterans of American.
New Members present: 2 AVVA Deanna VanBeek VVA Dick Gasden
Treasurer’s Report: Copies left on tables, Balance Savings $26,036.06, checking $5,437.64 no questions
Membership update: VVA 308.. AVVA 55
Old Business: None
New Business: Gene Goldsmith spoke and read letters to the recipients of BTC VVA scholarship. Motion made by George Douglas, seconded by VP Ron Wilson To change the name of Scholarship Fund from Ron Hansen to “Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter #165 Scholarship”. Passed unanimously- Gene Goldsmith will handle the change.
Motion made by Randy Turnbull to transfer $5,000 from the Savings to the BTC Scholarship funds. Seconded by Gary Pettigrew. Passed unanimously – Gene Goldsmith will handle Money to BTC
President Dave Loomis talked to us about moving the Memorial Day picnic to the day before – Memorial Day Sunday May 30th, so that everyone was not so stretched to do all events, and it would give everyone an opportunity to have a day to spend more time with each other.
Motion made by VP Ron Wilson to move picnic to the day before Memorial Day, Sunday May 30th. Seconded by Chaplain Lonnie Rose. Passed unanimously
Ron Wilson spoke about the plan for a Memorial at Green Acres for Gold Star Mother’s.
Motion made by Ron Wilson to donate $2,500 towards this memorial at Green Acres for Gold Star Mother’s seconded by Gary Pettigrew. Passed unanimously.
Good of the Order: President Dave Loomis asks for members to step up for positions of officers for 2021. Randy Turnbull and President Dave Loomis will chair a committee to contact people on 2021 officers. President Dave Loomis asked Darleen to contact 1585 about a possible bottle auction. Mike Boise will find out about the Memorial Day parade. Lana Haddox shared info on caregiving. Ron Wilson is looking for names to be recognized. 50/50 Raffle: Randy Turnbill won, amount donated back to chapter.
Money collected for dinner, $114.
Closing Ceremonies performed
Motion to Adjourn: 6:30pm
Elizabeth Rose AVVA
Minutes of 4 August 2020
General Meeting called to order at: 17:00 by President Dave Loomis
Open ceremonies performed
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2020
Ron Wilson, VP P 2020
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer A 2020
Ken Richardson, B of D A 2020
Mike Boice, B of D P 2020
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Gene Goldsmith, B of D A 2020
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Duane Holliday, B of D P 2021
New members present: None
Secretary’s report: None
Treasurer’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved Consolidated report
Membership Update: Approximately 360 VVA, AVVA Signed up 5 new members at Aug. 1 picnic.
1. VP Ron Wilson spoke about his work aiding veterans with building wheelchair ramps in the past few months
1. President Dave Loomis spoke about the car show 2021. The date is set as 18 July, 2021. Car show committee will meet and work out details. Randy Turnbull received a donation from Bill Padette $150 for the car show. Randy also talked to the property manager for the site and arranged details. Doc Holliday gave updates on the flyers and signs for the car show.
2. Dave Loomis will contact Dale Boe about food concessions for next year, cooking, equipment, permits, etc.
3. About 6 members will be needed to step up and help with cooking. Contact Dave Loomis at 360 715 1489 to assist.
4. Doc H said that Facebook still has Modica as contact for the car show. Tom G will try to correct and have Doc as contact at 360 733 5119.
5. Joel Douglas will check and see what we can do to apply for military food truck to be donated to us. Then we will draft a letter of request. Pres. Dave will contact post 7 to see if they have a truck.
6. As soon as the Chapter can have a safe meeting, we will talk about the “last man standing” for our chapter and Vietnam Veterans to be presented at the next National Convention.
AVVA member Malcolm Oliver lead the members in song, God Bless America.
AVVA member Elizabeth Rose took notes of the meeting. Thank you Liz.
50/50 Raffle Won by: Mike Boice $20.
Good of the Order: Dave Loomis shared that Little Ceasar’s Pizza on Lakeway gave a discount of ½ price on dinner tonight. We gave them a certificate of appreciation.
Members spoke about breakfast and lunch options for the car show.
Meal donations collected $ 79.00 Pizza cost 64.94.
Closing ceremonies performed.
Motion to adjourn: 17:40