Minutes 4 September 2018
General Meeting called to order at: 18:55 (6:55 pm) by Pres. Dave Loomis
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2019
Ron Wilson, VP P 2019
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2019
Kirk Lyon, B of D P 2019
Doug Spangler, B of D P 2019
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Richard Martinez, B of D P 2020
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Tom Modica, B of D P 2021
Guests: Ann Beck, Kim Yong Sun, Belinda Rafferty, Lana Haddox, Dorothy Rood, Dee Stahl, Agnes Kenney, Cherrie Rothenbuhler, Pat Mains
New members present: Dennis M. Rafferty, Pete Selvig, Steven Deseor, Young Kim
Secretary’s report: Recap of Car Show, motion by Ken R, 2nd, approved
Treasurer’s report: Balance Sheet 31 July, 31 August; Income Statement 31 July, 31 August presented. Motion by Ken R, 2nd Ray R to approve, passed
Membership Update: none
- Request from Ann Beck, WWU, for $5,000 to help fund endowment at WWU for veteran students. Many questions asked, much discussion ensued. Motion by Ron W., but no 2nd motion failed.
- Joel D. recapped the veterans’ picnic at Lairmont Manor, with an album of photos passed around.
- Car Show recap, applause awarded to the guilty parties (Tom M., Sam H., Randy T., Bill B., Dale B., Wojo, Richard M, Rosie L. and others who I am forgetting). Jim Rothenbuhler and Jim Mains presented a $500 check from the Gear Heads car club to be credited to the car show. Doc H. presented a $750 check from Superfeet also to be credited to the car show.
- Ken R. moved to give a further $5000 to the Bellingham Technical College endowment, 2nd by Ray R. After some discussion, the motion was approved unanimously
- Ken R. moved that $2000 be allocated to fund convention delegates to the national convention in Spokane in 2019. 2nd by Lonnie R. discussion followed, motion approved.
- Ken R. moved to give $3000 to the Whatcom Allied Veteran’s Council for the purpose of assisting the creation of the Vietnam War memorial in Greenacres Memorial Park. 2nd by Tom G, question if in the spirit of the mission statement, decided that it is. Approved overwhelmingly.
- Tom M. moved that the chapter buy a ping-pong table for the local Coast Guard Detachment not to exceed $600. 2nd by Ken R. discussion if this is in spirit of our mission statement. Decided that those presently serving are veterans and thus deserving. John F. questioned why the C.G. does not supply. Question called approved with one dissenting vote.
- Frank W. announced he will not be available to cook next meeting. No decision on substitute…but ideas abound.
- Meal collection $263.
- 50 / 50 raffle take $36.
- $10 donation (anonymous)
- CD sale generated $30
- VFW Post 1585 garage sale Sat. 15 Sept. 9am to 3pm (15:00). A pre-sale occurs Fri. 14 Sep. 5 pm – 6 pm (17:00-18:00)
Good of the Order:
Post 7 breakfast 9 – 11 am 16 September
The VFW Post 1585 pig roast happens on 15 September, it is a fund raiser to help pay for the new accessible ramp to the basement.
VFW 9301 breakfast 8:00 – 11:00 15 Sept.
VFW 1585 breakfast 8:00 – 10:00 30 Sept.
Motion to adjourn: 20:05 (8:05 pm)