Minutes of Meeting 4 April 2017
Vietnam Veterans of America
Ron Davenport Memorial Chapter 165
Minutes of Meeting 4 April 2017
While waiting for dinner to come out of the kitchen, Jackie Thurman was introduced and she explained her background and situation. Then dinner was served.
General Meeting called to order at: 19:20 (7:20 p.m.)
Pledge of Allegiance by: President Gene Goldsmith
Invocation by: Gene Goldsmith
Moment of silence for POW/MIA Gene Goldsmith
Roll Call of officers: term expires
Gene Goldsmith, Pres present 2017
Dave Loomis, VP present 2017
Randy Elmore 2nd VP present 2017
Bill Cox, Secretary present 2017
Tom Grinstad, Asst. Secy. present 2017
Ken Richardson, Treasurer present 2017
David Scattum, B of D absent 2017
Bill Wilcox, B of D present 2017
Richard Martinez, B of D present 2019
John Bradshaw, B of D absent 2017
Tom Modica, B of D present 2018
Greg Bremer, B of D present 2017
Kirk Lyon, B of D excused 2019
Guests: Rosie Loomis, Agnes Kenny, Connie Marich, Jackie Thurman
New members present: Paul Nelson, David Williams, Skip Syvertsen
Secretary’s January minutes: approved Ray R / David L
Treasurer’s January report: approved David L / Ray R
Membership Update: Gene Goldsmith reported 273 members, 1 deceased. AVVA has 7 members.
- Memorial Day 29 May – Jim McKinney, 24 year vet, possible guest speaker. We need help to move to site – pick up at VFW 9am. We need all available members to show up for the Memorial Day service and picnic. Greenacres is trying to put together “Thank a Vet” program and needs representatives from various organizations.
- Wojo is gone for a while need helpers in the kitchen.
- Remember breakfasts are at VFW 9301 on 3rd Saturday and VFW 1585 (Bellingham) on last Sunday of the month.
- Very likely the car show will occur at Barkley this year. Only a few items left to iron out. A suggestion raised by Randy T to make some sort of tribute or recognition of both Gary Lysne and Kenny Paine be incorporated into car show activities. Member are needed at the VFW in the evening 6pm (18:00) of 22 July to pick up items for the car show on 23 July.
- Election of officers for the 2017-2018 year:
President Gene Goldsmith
Vice President David Loomis
2nd Vice President Doug Spangler
Secretary Tom Grinstad
Treasurer Ken Richardson
Board of Directors: term ends
Tom Marsich 2020
Larry Martin 2020
Peter Pavlik 2019
David Osinski 2019
Tom Modica 2018
Doug Spangler 2018
- f. A motion to buy Gary Lysne’s generator for $800.00 was approved. Motion by Ken R / Randy E
- VASH (VA Subsidized Housing) bus passes were funded $400.00
- Expenses for delegate to attend State Council meeting in Yakima $390.38
- Expenses for Gene Goldsmith to attend DAR State Convention $ 630.46, motion by Ken R to fund both for $700.00 approved
- Request to buy more banners and sign for the car show tabled Randy T, Doc H, Sam H to bring cost and formal proposal to next meeting.
- VVA originally founded as “last man standing” organization. Now two committees at national looking into maybe making it everlasting.
- Jackie Thurmond is in a bind. Job cut short tossed out of housing, she is seeking help. Motion to assist with $1,300.00 allowing her to get into an apartment with her nephew approved. Tom M / Randy E
Good of the Order:
- Check VFW calendar
- pick up VVA business cards & applications from Gene G.
- c. Gene has 7 cases of Promot and various other medical supplies that are available.
- d. the Festival of Flags needs a representative from each organization. If you know of someone who could carry out the duties, let Gene know.
Motion to adjourn: made at 8:09 pm (20:09) passed unanimously
The raffle netted $110. The winning ticket #783 returned the proceeds.
39 folks showed up for this meeting. They were mostly the same faces. Keep on coming and let’s see some new or infrequent members.