Minutes of 3 March 2020
General Meeting called to order at: 18:45 (6:45 pm) by Dave Loomis
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2021
Ron Wilson, VP P 2021
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2021
Ken Richardson, B of D P 2021
Mike Boice, B of D P 2021
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Gene Goldsmith, B of D A 2021
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Duane Holliday, B of D P 2021
Guests: Darrell Hart
New members present: Tom Boyhan
Secretary’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Treasurer’s report: Moved, 2nd & approved
Membership Update: VVA now 298, AVVA 47 members
1. Wheelchair ramp for Stan Dyer was completed on 4 February 2020. Thanx to Ron Wilson
2. All officers and members of the board of Directors were inducted into office.
3. The generator donated by the Lysne family was bought by Ray Radke for $500.00
Prior to new business, certificates were awarded to John Forgette and Tom Haddox.
1. There will be a veteran’s ride and potluck at the Faith Equestrian Center, 3545 Birch Bay – Lynden Road 17:00 to 20:00 on March 7, 2020.
2. The blood drive will end 17 March. To schedule call 800 398 7888.
3. Start collecting items for the VVA Car Show raffle and veteran’s picnic. Don’t forget to hit up family and friends for donations.
4. The VFW auxiliary is planning a Purple Heart Day. If you know of any Purple Heart recipients please let Cindy Mellema know. Her phone number is 360 671 3597.
5. Sunday 29 March is “National Vietnam Veteran’s Day”. Celebrate with vigor.
6. The Marine Corps League is asking for a $1,000.00 donation for the Memorial Day Parade. Motion made, second, discussion, passed. We were also invited to display cars that will be in the car show in the parade – as advertising…
7. Lonnie rose moved that the chapter donate $250 for funeral expenses for a veteran who recently passed. The family had huge medical expenses and nothing left for the funeral. Second, passed.
8. Discussion about when and where vet’s picnic to be held. It was decided to hold at Hovander Park on Veteran’s Day, 25 May at 16:00 (4:00 pm). The shelter has been reserved…
9. Ron Wilson announced the demise of the “widow’s tax” which affected surviving spouses of veterans.
10. Tom G read a handwritten note of thanks from Dean Fulton of Bellingham Technical College (BTC) expressing the wish to continue our cooperation with the college.
Rosemarie is requesting your pictures when you were in VN or the military. If you were at the meeting you know what for.
50/50 Raffle Won by: Ken Carlson $47 which he donated back to the chapter – car show proceeds.
Good of the Order:
VFW Post 930, 7011 Hannegan Rd., Lynden serves breakfast from 8:00 to 11:00 March 21st
There is breakfast at VFW Post 1585 29 March from 8:00 to 10:00 on March 29th.
Meal donations collected $ 223.25. expenses were $ 195.74
Motion to adjourn: 19:25 (7:25 pm)