Minutes of 2 July 2019
Minutes of 2 July 2019
General Meeting called to order at: 18:55 (6:55 pm) by President Dave
Pledge of Allegiance by: Dave Loomis
Invocation by & Moment of silence for POW/MIA by: Lonnie Rose
Roll Call of officers: term expires
David Loomis, Pres P 2020
Ron Wilson, VP P 2020
Tom Grinstad, Secretary / Treasurer P 2020
Kirk Lyon, B of D A 2020
Doug Spangler, B of D A 2020
Randy Turnbull, B of D P 2020
Richard Martinez, B of D A 2020
George Douglas, B of D P 2021
Tom Modica, B of D P 2021
Guests: Mike Fleming, David Brink, Paul & Barbara Ingram
New members present: Malcolm Oliver AVVA new member,
Secretary’s report: Short and sweet as usual. Moved, seconded and approved.
Treasurer’s report: Moved, seconded and approved
Membership Update: Now have 286 members and 31 AVVA members
- National convention is July 16 – 20. We have six delegates attending along with Jim Pace.
- 2. Car Show update. We still need volunteers to man the registration tables, to help direct traffic, to flog raffle tickets, and other jobs too humorous to mention. We have only 18 volunteers from the membership.
If you know of some business that could make a donation of a product or service, or just a cash donation, don’t be afraid to hit them up. They will receive a 501 C19 certificate for tax purposes and perhaps increased customer traffic (and income) to their business.
- Blaine has its small town cool parade on July 4th. The parade starts at noon at Peace Portal and H Street. There is a street fair, live music, a car show and later – fireworks over the bay.
- There is no meeting in August. The next meeting will be 3 September at the usual time and place. Got that? No meeting in August.
- The Skagit chapter hosts a VVA picnic on 3 August 11:00 to 15:00 at 6254 Fruitdale Road, Sedro Wooley. For further information contact Andy Mitchelle 360 770 0545.
- VFW Post 1585 puts on the third Kenny Payne Pig Roast at 18:00 (6:00 pm) on September 28. Be there or be square.
- On 12 October the Annual Women’s Professional Network honors the Homegrown Heroes and Growing Veterans programs. The event starts at 11:00 and lasts until about 14:00 (2:00). These two programs really help vets. Go support this.
- National reminds us to not wear any POLITICAL hats, pins, tee shirts etc. to the chapter meetings.
Remember that Melvin Brewing is donating a portion of their $3 pints to the chapter. Go out there and support the chapter by drinking a few. The donation lasts from 30 June to 13 July.
Ron Wilson, veep, won the raffle at $25.
Malcolm led us in a rendition of God Bless America.
Benediction by Chaplain Lonnie Rose
Good of the Order:
Ferndale on the 4th will have a flag display on the main streets, put up by the Kiwanis. On the four corners of intersections will be POW/MIA flags.
VFW Post 9301 hosts breakfast from 8:00 to 11:00 on 20 July.
VFW Post 1585 has their breakfast on 28 July 8:00 to 10:00.
Dinner donations resulted in $171.
Motion to adjourn: came at 19:40. Dismissed